Special Guest: Julius Mayo Jr. AKA Droolius
In this episode, I talk to Julius Mayo Jr., another Filipino brother of mine. Julius shares with us his food blogging journey and how he got to where he is now in the food world! Before there was instagram, there was Droolius.
It was such a pleasure to meet Julius. He is the first Filipino on the show and I was pretty excited about that. I had been meeting a lot of Filipinos lately and it’s been such a wonderful experience. It’s nice to realize that you are part of a community of like minded people! One thing Julius and I had in common was our passion for food and specifically, our love for Filipino food came up quite a bit! I got to talk about our common love for our culture and our food! Food is such a big part of Filipino culture – the lechon, the street food, the kwek-kwek, the fish ball. All of the above was discussed! And I loved every minute of it!
I learned a lot on this episode just about food blogging and the inspiration someone lie Julius had when starting his blog before the instagram internet craze! His passion for helping others find these beautiful food cuisines really shines and I even got some tips of where to go!
My take away – That’s easy… I can’t wait for Julius to come visit me so we can have meals!
- Julius reads an excerpt where he discusses his thoughts on Philippine Cuisine
- Drea introduces Julius Mayo Jr.
- Julius talks about the excerpt in the beginning about traveling to the Philippines and exploring the country, and the local food!
- He talks about some of the foods in the Philippines and the street food – The Kwek-kwek, lechon, etc and then going to Japan afterwards for Ramen
- Discussing the Philippines and Coron
- Julius shares his love for travel and find any excuse to travel – Especially for food
- Julius shares what travel means to him
- The decision when his food travel blog started before there was instagram or other social media platforms —-
- Julius talks about the progressions of his food blog and how his career in food became a reality
- Talking about creating this blog because of passion
- Talking about social media and finding your passion, as opposed to focusing on fame and fortune
- Julius talks about some of the challenges of having an over amount of content and finding the balance of backlog content
- Julius talks about his inspiration why he started to become a food blogger – Anthony Bourdain
- Julius shares the most meaningful person he’s ever met – a man from Japan, Yoshi who took him under his wing for a ramen adventure
- Julius shares the chef that changed the way her viewed food – The chefs at Kadence Orlando who have Filipino Chefs
- Julius talks about his favorite places to eat in Los Angeles – Lasa
- Drea and Julius also discuss LA TACOS
- He also shares some of his favorite places in Los Angeles
- Julius shares a day when he went to 10 different places to eat in one day in Los Angeles
- Julius’ love for donuts
- Drea asks Julius what his favorite dish and food experience – Carcar Market in Cebu in sampling all different types of Lechon
- Julius shares his favorite restaurant – DEN
- Julius shares his tips and tricks for aspiring food bloggers
- Julius shares a piece of life advice he would give to a younger version of himself